top of page
membership faq.jpg

Questions fréquemment posées

  • I need to change my address and/or my phone number. What do I do?
    You need to advise CN Pension & Benefits Administration of any change of address. The CNPA cannot process any requests for address or phone number changes. CN Pensions & Benefits Administration will forward address changes to the CNPA so that any of our mailings will continue to reach you. Contact information for CN Pension & Benefits Administration is found on our Members Reference page.
  • I need to change my banking information so that I continue to receive my monthly pension payment. What do I do?
    You need to advise CN Pension & Benefits Administration of any change of banking information. The CNPA cannot process any requests for this type of change. Contact information for CN Pension & Benefits Administration is found on our Members Reference page.
  • A CN pensioner (or surviving spouse receiving a CN pension) has died? What should I do?
    There are a number of steps to be taken depending on the situation. The CNPA has put together a list of activities to help you in such circumstances. This information is found on the "Death of a Pensioner" page
  • Is every CN pensioner a member of the CN Pensioners Association?
    ​No, not every CN pensioner or surviving spouse is currently a contributing member of the CNPA. Membership is optional; however, the CNPA is the only association that you have at your disposal to protect your interests, financial and otherwise regarding your pensions and/or benefits. Although the CNPA is a volunteer directed association, like any service organization it does require operating funds in which to conduct the business necessary for it to function successfully.
  • Do I have to complete a membership application or renew my membership every year?
    ​The membership fee required to be a contributing member of the CNPA is $12 annually, which can be paid by (a) authorization of any CN pensioner or surviving spouse to have $1.00 per month deducted from their monthly pension cheque (payroll deduction) or (b) completion of a membership application accompanied by a cheque or money order in the amount of $12. By electing option (a) you never have to fill in any more applications and never have to worry about your membership dues as the $1.00 monthly deduction will continue each and every month unless you tell us to discontinue. So, the quick answer to the question is: If you elect payroll deduction, the answer is NO. If you wish to continue membership by paying annually, the answer is YES. More than 72% of contributing members have chosen payroll deduction and more are switching to PRD as they get to understand the benefits and convenience. We ask that you consider this method of paying membership dues so that we can keep our annual fee at the current low level of $12. We have unavoidable administrative costs and PRD helps us keep these costs at a minimum.
  • How do I cancel my CNPA membership if I no longer wish to be a member?
    You may cancel your membership by sending an email to and requesting you be removed from the membership.
  • How do I know if I am on pension payroll deduction (PPD)?
    For those pensioners who receive their monthly pension payments via direct deposit, periodically (at least once per year) you will receive a "Statement of CN Pension Benefits and Deductions" slip from the CN Pension Trust Fund. This information slip will show your "Total Amount Before Deductions" along with a "Description of Deduction", i.e. Federal Tax, Blue Cross Monthly Premium and CN Pensioners" Association deductions. For those pensioners who still receive their monthly pension payment by cheque, the $1.00 deduction for CN Pensioners' Association is shown on your cheque stub.
  • On the membership application form, what do you mean by "To which local/council do you wish to belong"?
    ​​We have over 35 Local Councils strategically located throughout Canada. When we receive an application for membership we are obliged to assign the candidate to a Local Council. Our obligation is to associate the applicant to either (a) the closest local council to their geographical location or (b) a specific local council as chosen by the applicant. The choice is the prerogative of the applicant and you can be associated with any local council of your choice regardless of your current place of residence.
  • What are the locations of the Local Councils?
    The CNPA is a tri-level association. The "parent" level is the National Council whose main objective is to be the liaison between the association and the company. The second level is comprised of 5 regions - Atlantic, Quebec, Ontario, Prairie and Mountain. The third level comprises the Local Councils within each of these regions. The full list is found on the Regional and Local Councils page.
  • If a surviving spouse receiving a CN pension remarries, does he/she still receive the pension as the surviving spouse?
  • I am a surviving spouse of a CN pensioner. Can I also become a contributing member of the CNPA?
    YES, as a surviving spouse you are an important part of the CN pensioner population and we welcome your application to become a contributing member. The CNPA is there to protect the interests of both pensioners and survivors.
  • If a CN pensioner marries after his/her date of retirement, is his/her spouse entitled to any portion of his pension in the event of his/her death?
    ​​No. To be entitled of a pension payment as a surviving spouse, the pensioner and spouse must be married at the date of retirement or living in a conjugal relationship at least one year prior to retirement.
  • Are spouses of CN pensioners who are members of the CNPA automatically members of the CNPA as well?
    No. Spouses are NOT considered members unless the Dues Fee has been paid for them. If anyone wants their spouse to be a member, we can increase their Payroll Deduction to $2.00. When a pensioner passes away, the spouse will be sent an application for membership so she/he will have the option to become a contributing member. Nothing is automatic.
bottom of page